SEO Keyword Research
The second thing we do is your SEO Keyword Research, this is the portion of your campaign where we determine which keywords we should target both right now and in the future. What does that mean? Blue Fusion Digital has a specific SEO Keyword Research methodology we use both internally at our own agency and most importantly for all of our clients. The methodology is simple, we want to create a digital marketing strategy that is going to set up our clients for success As Soon As Possible with long tail keywords and maximize their investments with us by targeting the most competitive terms (short tail keywords) in the future. Every single business owner in the world would absolutely love to be #1 on the first page of Google, Bing and Yahoo for the shortest keyword (Most competitive) because those are the keywords that get the largest search volume. If we use Blue Fusion Digital as an example, the #1 Keyword for someone in our industry would be “SEO” the keyword “SEO” is searched for 670,000 times per month. WoW, that is a ton traffic! Unfortunately, we are not going to be able to rank in the #1 position for that keyword for a very long time, if ever, because we just don’t have the resources to make that sort campaign work. Does that mean we shouldn’t do Search Engine Optimization for ourselves? Heck, No!
What this does mean is we need to work smarter, we target “longer tail keywords” that still offer up relevant traffic to our business but the keywords provide a much more attainable position 1 search result. The great news is if you do your SEO keyword research correctly you can get as much if not more then the same amount of traffic from the combination of your medium-long tailed keywords as if you only targeted a few short tail keywords with the same amount of resources.
Here is a quick reference to some example of short tailed keywords vs long tailed keywords.
- Short Tail Keyword: “SEO” 670,000 searches per month
- Medium Tail Keyword: “SEO Company” 22,200 searches per month
- Long Tail Keyword: “SEO Company San Diego” 210 searches per month
- Long Tail Geo-Modified Keyword: “Best SEO Company San Diego” 10 searches per month
What is the best way to perform keyword research? Blue Fusion Digital uses the Google Adwords Keyword Planner to perform SEO Keyword Research all of our clients! Here is a quick video that explains how to use the Google Adwords Keyword Planner.
Now that we know what keywords we want to focus on we need to devise our SEO strategy. The way Blue Fusion Digital devises our SEO strategy is by working smarter, we don’t believe in re-inventing the wheel. We take a look at the keywords we have decided on see who your top competitors are and we reverse engineer what they are doing well. How does Blue Fusion Digital reverse engineer a competitors website? That is a fantastic question! We use a few tools such as Open Site Explorer, Ahrefs, Raven Tools and SEM Rush to break down your competitors linking profiles.
Some of the things we check in your competitors lining profiles:
- Number of links – Total number of links your competitors have
- Quality of links – Where on the page is the link? (body, footer, side bar, etc.)
- Number of Root Domains Linking – How many different domains are linking to them?
- Quality of Root Domains Linking – Are they getting low level domains to link to them?
- Anchor Text – Are they using money keywords, branded keywords, naked URL’s?
- Deep Link Ratio – How many links are going to the homepage vs. internal pages?
Try our Free Audit Tool
Enter any landing page or website URL.